Hi friends! I’m Rachel, an avid DIYer, woodworker & maker! I have always loved making things. You can ask my two sisters about all the times I went “craft crazy” growing up, and just spent my whole day at our craft table. I have to be a little crazy being the middle child though right?
Being a very kinesthetic learner (do you see that teacher word I just used?) I have always liked learning new things, whether that be a new language, using a new power tool, or a new building technique. I started my career as a Spanish teacher, and while I’m no longer in that role, I still work with students & families everyday at my “day job”, and love being around people.
Having a creative project going really gives me clarity and time to process things with an open mind. I’m not a big one for sharing my emotions, but creating allows me to let those feelings out in a healthy way. Other enneagram 8’s out there, ya feel me?
My husband Dylan & I bought our first home here in Indiana about 4 years ago, and that’s when I got deeply into building & power tools. I’ll talk about the first time I picked up a power tool in a later post. It started out mostly from a need to create practical storage, but it has grown into a huge passion for me. I hope that through any project that I do or power tool tip I give, you see that average people can learn new skills and make beautiful things.
Here’s 10 random facts about me to wrap up:
- I am a Christ-follower and believe my calling and ability to create comes from Him. Ephesians 2:10
- My favorite food is cheese.
- My husband & I both play the drums (he’s played on stage with The Killers).
- I’m a proud dog mom to Hoss, a pitbull/lab mix
- I have 36 house plants & counting!
- I speak Spanish fluently & a little bit of Mandarin Chinese
- My family loves all outdoorsy things like camping, & hiking
- I love clean skincare & beauty products
- I really enjoy cooking but not baking as much, because I don’t like to measure
- I love traveling & have been to 12 countries
Thanks for being here!