So close to the end, and yet still so far. That’s exactly how this week has felt. We’re in week 7 of the One Room Challenge sponsored by Apartment Therapy. The huge builds are behind me, and while I’m excited about that, there are still a million little details to finish this space.
My big goal for this week was to finish up these built-in shelves. Since they’re library shelves after all, they need library lights. I ordered some battery powered lights from Amazon that have a remote to turn them on and off and dim them. Now these didn’t come in the same brassy gold color that I was looking for to match cabinet hardware and the chandelier, so I ordered them in black. I decided to get them to match the gold color using Rub ‘n Buff.
I’ve seen many DIYers use Rub ‘n Buff and I know they love it, so I really wanted to try it. It’s like a wax finish that has metallic powder in it to give a smooth, metal look. I applied it in two coats using a rag, and buffed it out once it was dry. I was surprised that it smelled so strong like spray paint does, but it did dry very fast which was nice. My only negative about it is that it can stain your fingers, so next time I’d probably wear gloves.
The other task with the shelves I wanted to finish was styling. Styling is not something that I feel comes easy to me. I’d much rather build a shelf than tell you what to put on it. I collected up miscellaneous decor items from around my house, and started playing around with placement. Then I polled my social media community for styling tips, and they totally came through with the help. They taught me how to mix textures and layers, not only front to back, but varying heights of items on each shelf. I continued to move pieces around until it had a nice, full, but not too maximalist look. There are pieces on these shelves from various travels, a few family heirlooms, items I’ve thrifted over the years, and some of my favorite books. These are all pieces that spark so much joy for Dylan & I. It completed the space in a very functional, but beautiful way.
That’s all I accomplished this week, because I felt like a was running out of steam a bit, but I’m still feeling like I’m in a good place to finish this challenge well. Here’s what I have left before final reveals:
*Paint base of coffee bar and add hardware
*Finish crown molding
*Styling for the rest of the room
Make sure you visit the One Room Challenge Blog to see the other amazing spaces being transformed, and stick around for final reveals next week!